Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just the two of us...

Living together. Yeah... how about that?

My husband and I dated for about five years before we got married, in high school, through college. Very soon after we started dating, we were attached at the hip. Friday night dates turned into Friday nights and Saturdays... and maybe Sundays. Then we saw each other in school. We even had a lot of the same classes.

Our parents were remarkably open to this. Only my mother (in characteristic fashion) said anything. Sometimes, when I said I was going over to James' house, she would say, "you just saw him all week in school, plus Friday night, plus Saturday." I didn't care, though. I just couldn't get enough of his company. Still can't.

It's a funny thing, love. Usually, after awhile, I get tired of people's company. I know that sounds bitchy, but let me explain. I've had best friends, old friends, new friends. I love hanging out with people, but eventually, enough is enough and I just want to be alone. That never happened with James. I would always prefer being with him to being alone, or to being with anyone else.

Now we're living together. We don't go out with friends a lot. It's just the two of us. And I like it that way.

The other day my mom e-mailed me that every time she decides to take a day off from work lately, my father decides to take one off too. I thought that was such a sweet thing to do. Thoughtful. When I was little, my mom complained that he worked all the time and never spent enough time with family. I really liked to hear that they were spending time together.

My mother, however, e-mailed me something different. She said that she likes spending time with him, but with him continually taking simultaneous days-off, she doesn't have any time for herself.

So which is it?

I live in fear of that day. It's not that I think married people can't have separate interests or pieces of their lives. Of course they should, of course they do. I, however, feel that these separate pieces are just that, pieces, and that on the whole, you have to be in it together.

People will say I'm in the "honeymoon" phase of marriage. I still consider myself a newlywed. But consider this: my husband is hands down, the best friend I have in the world. The only one I can talk to about all of my problems, even problems I'm having with him. We like the same music, the same movies, the same foods. We laugh at the same jokes. Plus, he's a fantastic kisser and Olympic champion cuddler.

So, I'm going to revel in every moment we have together. Even if it's not all sunshine and roses, at least he's here, in the flesh. I appreciate that man so much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment