Friday, March 6, 2009

Such a Novel Story

You know how, in books, the guy wants to go out drinking and the woman wants to stay in and cuddle? Today, I am that woman.

Every Friday, James (husband) and I (Sophie) meet his friends downtown. Last Friday, they all decided to go out afterward. I am too cheap to spent $30 for a cab to get home so I volunteered to be my husband's DD.

You know what DD stands for? Debbie Downer. Yes, I was.

Tonight, he comes homes and says, "so, what do you want to do tonight?"

There are two things I am certain of:
1) Friday night is hanging out with friends night. He knows this. I know this.
2) That look on his face that says, "I am hesitating to say something."

I knew he was going to say something about going out afterward (I guess I was certain of three things). Frankly, I didn't feel like it. I'm kind of... over it. I've seen enough people throwing up, enough people making poor beer-influenced choices, enough alcohol-induced confrontations. James hasn't.

So, I skipped the club (and dinner out, which I was looking forward to) and opted for James calling me for a ride home, which is, needless to say, ten times more exciting. Now, don't mistake me. I'm not mad that he wants to go out. Completely normal.

But part of me, wishes he'd insisted I go. Insisted that it wouldn't be fun without me. Though I know this is not true.

I do not begrudge him a good time. I do not hope his night is rotten. I just hope he calls me before midnight because I am one tired lady.

The kicker was, after he left, I was hoping he'd come back. He'd say, "come on" and grab me by the arm. "I'm not going without you," he'd say. It was quite a nice little fantasy I had going. Suddenly, the door re-opened. "Sophie," James called. "Yes?" I said. "Just letting you know it's me. I forgot my hat."

Forgot his hat. Of course.

0 comments:

Post a Comment